Statistical Modelling Group (STMG)
This group focuses on the development and application of statistical models to investigate substantive phenomena in the social sciences and beyond. We are also interested in the continuing software developments for fitting statistical models.
As well as doing research that involves statistical models, we also run training courses to explain how the latest software developments allow us to fit statistical models to answer substantive research questions. These include advice on the preparation of data and the interpretation of results.
We are primarily based in social statistics, but we are also involved in interdisciplinary collaboration at the University of Manchester, as well as working with colleagues elsewhere in the UK, and overseas.
Recent research topics include the development and application of the following models:
- Models for Social Networks, such as Exponential Random Graph Models (ERGMs) for the analysis of social network structure.
- Multilevel Models for investigating Social Network, Organisational, and Spatial Variations in social and health outcomes.
- Relational Event Models for persistence and reciprocity of behaviour in ordered or timed sequences of events.
- Longitudinal Models.
- Structural Equation Models.
Events and activities:
- Murray Aitkin, Professorial Fellow (Associate), University of Melbourne, School of Mathematics and Statistics (autumn 2016)
- Dean Lusher, ARC Future Fellow, Centre for Transformative Innovation, Faculty of Business and Law, Swinburne University of Technology
- Garry Robins, University of Melbourne
- Lucia Falzon, DSTO Fellow, DSTO, Adelaide
- Methods at Manchester Summer School (Advanced Social Network Analysis: Statistical Models for Social Networks). 6 - 10 July 2015 (Koskinen & Tranmer)
- NCRM Short Courses (October 2015)
- Relational Event Models (details to follow) – 12 October 2015.
- Multilevel Analysis of Social Network Data – 13 October 2015
- Structural Equation Modelling – 14 October 2015
- Adrian Byrne
- Adrian Legiuna-Ruzzi
- Ana Ivon Morales Gomez
- Patricio Troncoso Ruiz