Introduction to Data Analysis 2 (CPD accredited)
Dates: 6 October 2017, 15 June 2018
Time: 1 day (10am-4.30pm)
Instructor: Jen Prattley
Fee: £195 (£140 for those from educational, government and charitable institutions).
CMI offers up to five subsidised places at a reduced rate of £60 per course day to research staff and students within Humanities at The University of Manchester. These places are awarded in order of application. In some instances, such as for unfunded PhD students, we may be able to offer free or bursary places.
Please note: this is not guaranteed and is considered on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us for more information.
This course provides an introduction to the theory and methods of quantitative data analysis of relationships between variables, focussing on the techniques of Chi-square tests, correlation and linear regression.
The course will examine relationships between variables covering:
- the concept of statistical significance
- the theory and execution of a simple chi square test for relationships between categorical variables
- how to test whether a relationship between two interval variables exists using correlation
- how to describe relationships between variables using a statistical model based on linear regression methods
- the use of control variables to control for confounding variables
- the interpretation of statistical results and their use in making research conclusions.
Participants should have a basic familiarity with a statistical software package such as SPSS. Ideally participants should also have taken Introduction to Data Analysis 1 or have equivalent experience.
- Field, A. (2012) Discovering Statistics Using SPSS for Windows. London, SAGE Publications
- Diamond, I. and Jefferies, J. (2004) Beginning Statistics: An Introduction for Social Scientists. London, Sage Publications
- Blaikie, N. (2003) Analyzing Quantitative Data: from description to explanation London, SAGE Publications
For information about the surveys (used in the practical sessions), see the UK Data Service website.