How long will I love you? Sex and intimacy in later life
27 February 2017
CMI's Dr David Lee recently released a report which was widely picked up in the media. His report, released through the International Longevity Centre on 14 February 2017, focused on sex and intimacy in later life.
What factors affect our experiences of our intimate relationships as we grow older? This report examines the sexual and intimate lives of older adults, using survey data of men and women aged 50 to 90+ living in England.
David Lee (University of Manchester Institute for Collaborative Research on Ageing) and Josie Tetley (Manchester Metropolitan University) have examined relationships and intimacy in later life using data gathered by the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA).
The report summarises the findings from the Sexual Relations and Activities Questionnaire (SRA-Q) that was used as part of the ELSA study and makes recommendations for practice and policy that can make a difference to the ways in which health professionals can better to support the sexual and intimate lives of older adults.
A video about David Lee's research on the subject is available on the University of Manchester YouTube channel.
- Conversations around sex and older people need to be normalised – countering stereotypes and misconceptions will improve public health
- Health professionals need to proactively engage with older people to better manage problems that impact on both individuals and couples sexual health and function
- Positive sexuality and intimacy throughout the lifecourse is linked to higher levels of happiness and well-being – irrespective of age
- Older people have a right to good sexual health care and should be able to easily access joined up services to help them meet that goal
The report received widespread media interest, featuring in the Guardian, The I, Manchester Evening News, GQ, on radio and on the Telegraph website amongst others:
- GQ - This is the best age to have sex, according to science
- Barchester - Sex is more satisfying for those over-80, says study
- The Telegraph (Online) - Comment: Sex is better once you're over-85? Us 'old folk' have known that for years
- Cosmopolitan.In - The Lovely Reason Your Sex Life Gets Better With Age
- the Guardian - Lust for life: why sex can improve at 80
- The i Paper - Sex expectations over 80 are just another worry
- Good Housekeeping (Online) - Over 80s enjoy better sex than the middle-aged
- The i News - Simon Kelner: Don’t pile pressure on the over-80s to have lots of sex
- Global Calvin Tucker Blog - Lust for life: why sex is better in your 80s
- homecare.co.uk - Women in their 80s have better sex lives than women in their 50s
- The Guardian - Lust for life: why sex is better in your 80s
- carehome.co.uk - Women in their 80s have better sex lives than women in their 50s
- Medical Xpress - Think you're not having enough sex? Try being a senior in assisted living
- Longevity - How long will I love you? Sex and intimacy in later life
- The i News - Older people may be having more sex than you think, study suggests
- The Daily Telegraph - Women's sex life becomes more enjoyable after the age of 80
- The i Paper - More sex, please, we're octogenarians
- The Times - Think it's all over? Over-80s enjoy better sex than middle-aged
- The Irish Times - Think it's all over? Over-80s enjoy better sex than middle-aged
- BBC Radio 4 – Woman’s House
- BBC Radio Manchester – Mike Sweeney Show
- BBC Radio Leicester – Jonathan Lampon Show
- Belfast 89FM – Wednesday Morning Talk In
- W Radio – US, Central and South America